Friday, May 25, 2018

Memorial Day

Memorial day is celebrated every last Monday of the month of May. Memorial day was born in Waterloo, New York, that is where the first memorial day occurred but many believe it started before then. People would visit the graveyards of their fallen soldiers. Memorial day is also known as Decoration Day. By 1890 All the Northern states celebrated this day but it wasn't until after World War 1 the Southern states celebrated this on the same day. Memorial day started after the civil war. The civil war was the biggest conflict in U.S  history that killed many soldiers on the field. A family would gather at their graves and decorate it with flowers, they would also make meals and have family gatherings in honor of the soldier they lost. In 1971 it was declared a federal holiday. For this memorial day, I plan to spend time with my family.

Image result for memorial day

Reflection:  A way I can honor those who have fallen fighting in the army is to thank them and remember them. Even if I don't know them personally I plan to be respectful and just remember all the sacrifices they made to keep me and this country safe. I think it is a great holiday because yeah I get the day off school but it's great because we learn so much about what really goes on I the battlefield and we celebrate those who have died to keep u safe. We may not know those who have died personally but in my opinion, I am thankful that they did what they did even if it cost them their life because they are doing the right thing which is keeping their country safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CTR project